Tips: How to setup company email on your PDA
June 14, 2008 2 Comments
After a while of searching a right device for me, finally I choose HTC TyTN II. Quite impresive. With Windows Mobile 6 and a lot of features you can find here.
Then one thing I wanna do is how I can get my office email on my TyTN and I want to be able to reply my emails as I were in the office. This would be pretty easy if your company have a POP3 access for you. My company policy not allow me using pop mail and neither push email. Well push mail only runs on MS Exchange 2007 above. What should I do?
First I need a mail server that allow pop3 and having different reply email address. At least there are two email services have this feature: hotmail with windows live and gmail. I choose gmail. This feature allow you to reply with another email address. This is how to setup:
- Create a new email account in Gmail. I created this email account special for my mobile.
- Ask your company administrator to forward your email to this Gmail email address.
- Go to Settings – Accounts. Click Another email address. Enter your office email address here. And select the radio buttons to Always reply from my default address (your office email address).
- Gmail will send a verification to your company email.
- Now setup your mobile email client. Go to Messaging, Start – Program – Messaging. Click New Account.
- Enter your office email address. Click Next.
- Enter Your name. I prefer to set it as when you setup in your office.
- Enter Account display name. Click Next.
- Enter Incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com
- Select Account Type: POP3.
- Enter your user name in Gmail and password. Check the checkbox to save password otherwise you have to enter password everytime sync to server.
- Enter Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: smtp.gmail.com.
- Check both Outgoing server requires authentication and Use the same user name and password for sending email.
- Select Automatic Send/Receive and Download messages schedule as you like. Click Next.
- Select message format and Message download limit as you like.
- Click Finish.
Now you can receive and send office email from your mobile.